Friday, September 14, 2007

Pay Your Library Fine, Cheap Bastards!


I always choose the wrong line.


Grocery store, movie queue, whatever. It's always the one with the FREAK in it who is complaining or paying with a German bond or something wierd.


Today, it was a trip to the library that landed me behind the nutty old fart who refused to pay his fine, yet seemed to think he was entitled to check out multiple new DVDs.


After standing for 10 minutes, listening to him wrangle with the desk clerk (who was holding her own very politely -- good for you, hon!), I started to get REALLY PEEVED. It's one thing to dispute a fine, but this guy had multiple fines from multiple episodes/items and he just didn't feel that he was interested in paying.


I began my LOUD SIGHING. "Huuuuuuuuuunh." "Wheeeeeeeeeewwwww." Guaranteed to be really, really annoying and patented by my (deceased) evil grandmother. I learn from the best. So I begin my noisemaking and finally the old bastard turns around and says to me,

"Do you need something?" To which I smile evilly and reply, "Yes, I need you to stop being a cheapo and pay your bill so I can check out my books!"


He just looked at me like he couldn't believe what his fur-sprouting little ears had told him. There were several people behind me in line, and they must have looked like they were willing to back me up in the upcoming beatdown because Cheapo just left his DVDs on the counter and stalked out.


My work is here is done.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE when people do this at the library.

When I'm working the desk, getting bugged by some annoying old crank, every now and then, some valiant member of the public will come to my aid and say what I cannot.

Kudos to you, Infomatrix! Just one more reason why I love you!

Anonymous said...

Ditto!!!

XCircman

Lbrychic said...

I'm glad we have no daily late fines at my library. We only get grief from when we paycheckage them after they've kept the items for more than 4 months past the due date.


On a side note, just recently got a new library card for the county public library. My account number ends in 666, do you think i should take my card back and demand a new one? (thankfully I love 6's, so I'm keeping it anyway)

Anonymous said...

You Rock!!!

Infomatrix said...

Keep your card, Beth! Historically (and in numerology), the number '6' is a very lucky number. PLUS, it will be easier to memorize your account number so you can use your online account, right?