Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Just Can't Say No...


Somehow, I seem to get sucked into "projects". Usually, they're for a good cause... support the library, support the school, support the homeless muskrats. Whatever.


This time, it's SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR.


I have a deep and abiding hatred for fundraising. My version of HELL is going door-to-door selling ginsu knives and crappy magazine subscriptions. I understand the need for it, especially since we're now living in California, The Land of the Unbalanced and Bloated Budget. However, times are hard, and people need to cut back on spending and that includes buying stuff they don't need. The question is: at what point does spending money on necessary items become a priority to the point where you have to say NO to fundraisers that may benefit you or your family?


IE.---I love Girl Scout cookies. Who doesn't? Mmmmm. Thin mints... However, at $4/box, for 10 or so tiny cookies, they aren't a bargain. Is it time to start saying NO THANKS to the Girl Scouts? I know they need the money for projects and events. I like the Girl Scouts. I like their cookies. I may have to say NO to both. I don't want to, but I may have to JUST SAY NO.


Back to Scholastic Book Fair. I am now the chair for this event at our school. Yea for me. (IDIOT!) However, it is going to be difficult for me to say "buy these books with your hard-earned cash" when I know full well that people are scraping by. Does buying a book benefit the kid/family? Yes. Does it benefit the school? Yes. More so than buying a box of Thin Mints which will put lard on your butt. And yet, it is still solicitation, fundraising, money begging... whatever you want to call it. It is a tough job in these economic times. I'm not entirely happy I'm doing it and I'm wishing I had another option. Can't the kids just Ebay their kidneys for the school?


Thinking about this makes me crabby. I'm going to my freezer now. I'm looking to see if any of LAST YEAR'S financially guilt-free Thin Mints are left...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG...you're getting as bad as me, taking on these projects.

I can't say anything to you about it, because I'm just as bad. The Scholastic Book Fair isn't all that bad, I guess.