Thursday, February 15, 2007

Food Cretin.


I'm not an over-the-top person on Valentine's Day. USMCman brings me a nice bottle of wine and a bottle of champagne. I make a special dessert for dinner. The rest is private.


This year, I made a three-chocolate pudding pie. It uses bittersweet, semi-sweet, and unsweetened chocolate. Lots of chocolate. It also has a chocolate graham crust. It was more of a mousse than a pudding, actually, but very rich and very yummy. I also whipped up some home-made whipped cream to top it off. Everyone was happy and we still have a few pieces left.


My neighbor asked me what we did for Valentine's Day. I told her that I made a pie for the family and that it was easy and quick--for a scratch dessert. Her reply: "Why didn't you just use Jell-O chocolate pudding and a box of Dream Whip? It would have been a lot easier and just as good!"


Oh. My. God. A food-cretin!


Please do not even THINK that powdered whip mix and pudding mixed together can taste anywhere near as fabulous as one pound of Scharffen Berger chocolate. Puh-leeze. I just looked at her and raised my eyebrows disapprovingly. She continued to go on and on about how she layers slices of banana in her pie (*double shudder*) and puts the spray whipped cream on top.


Gag.


I stayed quiet and she soon picked up on the "I'm disgusted with your chemical pie" vibes I was putting off. So she moved on to other, safer topics.


Oh well. Next time, I'll just give her one of those little conversation heart candies... the one that says EAT ME.

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

Scharffen Berger mmmmm Can I come to your house?!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this one honey!

I made your fabulous brownie recipe the other day--the one that uses six ounces of melted chocolate and a quarter cup of chocolate syrup--WOWEE!!

I made them for Duck's friend, AdrienBrody's birthday. All the guys went crazy over them, of course.

You just can't get that kind of evil from a mix.

Infomatrix said...

Elizabeth, you are hereby issued an open invite to come and have chocolate with me any time! I appreciate your good taste.

As for TIL... I'm glad they love chocolate. It's important to hang out with people who have their priorities straight! XOXO

Unknown said...

I am spiritually with you on this one. The cluelessness that people proudly make known as regards to their culinary ignorance is... simply fantastic, if I may use 'fantastic' in the pejorative. Your neighbor's comments transport me back to the PSPL employee lounge, particularly in regard to their comments on Asian foods I might be eating on a given day. One day, in response to my eating with chopsticks, I received the comment: "Gosh you go all out!" Where do these people live, under rocks?