Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Time Suck -- Not On MY Watch (hee hee!)


Do you hear that sound? Like an approaching plague of locusts? It's my in-laws preparing to descend upon us for yet ANOTHER uninvited stopover on their migration back to the northeren climes. Aack.

I'm not going to complain about their impending 'visit-o-doom' because you've heard it all before ad nauseum. Instead, I'm going to pose a question for you all...
Given: that they are unsure of their arrival time this upcoming Friday... Should I be required to sit at home, twiddling my thumbs and waiting for them when I could be doing something productive and necessary, like going to the gym?
I feel that since they don't know exactly when they'll be arriving, that I am justified in making my usual Friday afternoon trip to the gym (and putting Thing2 in daycare). When I told my M-I-L that I might not be home when they arrived, but would be home at or before a certain time -- just a two-hour span of being gone -- I got this big silence. I quickly reassured her that she could use the key to get in and they could unload and relax; Thing2 and I would be back in a reasonable amount of time. (This assumes that they will be arriving during the two-hour span that I go to the gym. Given their past track record, this is EXACTLY when they will arrive.)
Now. I ask you. Am I being unreasonable? Am I being mean?
I just don't feel that I should have to sit and twiddle my thumbs and wait for them to arrive whenever, when I could be burning off calories and stress at the gym and Thing2 could be having a fun time playing with the other incarcerated kids at daycare. USMCMan gave me a funny look when I told him of the plan, but then I reminded him that HE could leave work and come home and wait for them if he wanted to... which shut him up lickety-split. It's not as if I'm making them wait in the car for us to get home and unlock the house or sit at a McDonald's until we return.
What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You already know what my answers would be to these questions. I don't have to tell you.

Also....there is a little surprise on its way to you even as we speak! Just to remind you that I love you, and to help you through the dark days ahead.

Infomatrix said...

But sometimes, I just need a reality check to ensure that I am not being a complete and total bitch. I guess my measuring stick is that if MY parents were coming down and they weren't sure about an exact arrival time, I'd feel comfortable saying, "Go in, hang out, have a drink and we'll be back shortly... I really need to work out!" Of course, I am NOT dealing with MY parents, I'm dealing with the criminally insane!

elizabeth said...

I think you will need endorphines to survive the visit, so go for it.